Saturday, 6 September 2014

The Interview - Infosys

A professional footballer scoring his first goals of the season, a cricketer capturing his first wickets or scoring first century of an all-important tournament and an engineering student getting on the placement list of two companies in a space of 4 days – all share the same level of excitement, the very same thrill. I am writing this as an experience with the same exhilarating fervor.

I would like to take this opportunity to brag about the fact that I got placed in both Infosys and Accenture on their visit to my humble abode – my college. The week preceding the said companies’ arrival was spent in acute anxiety. Frequent searches on the internet about the guidelines and as many details as possible to make the D-Day survivable. I went through every article even remotely related to the companies – the placement procedure, the work environment, the pros and cons of being employed by them and so on and so forth.

And also there was a hoard of pre-requisites to be followed. Passport size photos which have incessantly been bringing out the creepiness of humans since the invention of the practice, copies of the marksheets, inadvertently freshening up those rusty nostalgic memories of how utterly disappointing my school life was, a well compiled folder of everything I had earned or got in college life. A haircut was also required but “no thanks” I said.

For Infosys we had an aptitude test on the first day and it was totally unexpected and different from their normal procedure of the past year. I jumped over that hurdle though. Then came the dreaded interview that scares the shit out of all introverts, myself being one. I spent a considerable amount of time trying to prepare the most obvious questions that are part of every interview.

I entered the room, the interviewer stood up and shook my hand and offered me a seat. I was expecting an ‘introduce yourself’ question for which I was pretty well prepared. But the interviewer stared in my face and flushed my preparation down the toilet and proceeded to ask, “What motivates you ??” and I was like Whaat ?? I just spit out a philosophical reply to which he replied “Wonderful.” That was motivation right there. The rest of the interview was mostly an impromptu conversation with flavors of technical questions thrown in.

All in all it was a wonderful experience. The way I handled the interview was kind of unexpected as I had to come out of my shell of introvert-ness and step up my game. The important thing, as I recall, was to be confident and ‘being myself’ as one brilliant senior of mine had suggested.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...